Last Updated on 4 weeks by The Mintly Team
Now that one has announced your completion of graduation on your social media, it’s time for the next venture – finding a job as freshers. You have a lot of companies in mind, and you even got in touch with a few. You’re doing everything right but there’s one thing coming in the way of landing fresher jobs – fresher with one-year experience.
As a fresher, attending an interview can be daunting. It’s important to remember that employers are looking for enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. Here are some tips for any freshers about to attend their first job interview:
The most essential thing is preparation; researching the company and familiarising yourself with the role will make sure you feel prepared when you walk into the room. It’s also useful to make a list of your achievements, strengths and weaknesses ahead of time, as well as thinking through how you would respond if asked certain questions. Don’t forget to bring copies of your CV or portfolio with you too!
On the day of the interview itself, it’s important to dress smartly so take care in choosing what outfit you wear; however, it’s best not to overdress.
So, how do you overcome this paradox of an ‘experienced fresher’? It is not an impossible feat, and you can take certain steps to get a job without any prior professional experience. Here are some tips on how to get a job as a fresher. These Tips for fresher interview will guide you in getting good results out of the interviews.
1. Companies Demand Freshers Too!
It is common for students to think that companies recruit only experienced candidates. Even non-experienced candidates can also attend the interview based on their skills. There are certain job postings that demand the need for experienced people.
But not the entire system wants only them. Initially, freshers are in the training stage. And so, the recruiters will check whether the fresher is willing and able to understand new concepts without struggling. If so, then they will recruit and train accordingly.
- Freshers self-introduction
- You must be totally dedicated and eager to grasp the concepts.
- Do not apply for too many organizations at a time, wait for your turn and then apply for another.
- Do not send the resume to only one company. So, apply for a few organizations that ask for the same set of skills.
2. Seek help building Freshers Resume
A resume plays a vital role for freshers to get a good job.
- The resume is going to speak about your talents to the employers. Therefore, find out the successful resume template that worked well for others during the interview. You can also get the fresher sample resumes and for freshers resume formats for the specific job role.
- Never think that one resume will fit all the job types. If you are applying for two different jobs – one for a product-based company and another for software testing, the skills required for these roles are different. And one resume will not be compatible for both of these jobs.
- It is really dangerous to add all the skills if you are not aware of them. However, if you have in-depth knowledge about the skills then adding it to the CV is not an issue.
- Do not forget to proofread your CV before finalizing it.
3. Search for Freshers Job Openings
Usually, organizations will conduct campus placements for final-year students. If you couldn’t attend it then check for any off-campus placements happening around colleges. This is one of the best ways for freshers to enter a reputable company. Adding to this, you can also search via online job portals for relevant jobs.
Online job boards
There are tons of job postings available on online platforms like Naukri, Indeed, or MonsterIndia. You can also get professional services for building your resume, from online job boards and portals where you can register yourself. These platforms allow you to search for the jobs you are looking for, filtering searches by posting date, experience, role, industry, and location. You can have your resume and profile boosted for better search results among recruiters, learn tips and tricks to improve your interview skills and get advice specific to industries and roles, and even other aspects of the professional lifestyle.
Are you looking for specific Job in a particular domain or industry? You can use niche based hiring marketplaces to find the relevant job in your skillset.
- Secondly, look at the date of job postings. Though online job portals will list recent job postings on top of the search, it is a must to ensure it. If it is posted a year ago then it is of no use to apply for the job this year.
- Most of the job portals will ask you to upload your resume. And so, check for uploading it. Whether the resume is a perfect fit for the job openings.
- You can also utilize the resume builder that is available in the job portals. It is customized and provides niche results.
4. Time to Upgrade Freshers Skills
- You can include the certification courses that you have completed successfully, in your resume. This adds value to your profile and recruiters will consider this during the interview.
- Be proactive and learn more about the concept.
- There are reliable certification course centers that will assist you with jobs after the course completion. Continuously seek them for help, until you find a job.
Make the most of your networking skills
Living in the age of the internet and social media, it is imperative to have a network online. While professional networking sites such as LinkedIn are purely meant for career-oriented connections, even your social networking platforms have dedicated groups and pages for you to connect with people for professional opportunities. Organizations give employee referrals more preference than you might think. And more often than not, employees get a referral bonus too.
Networking with the community of professionals is important habit for any fresher. This tip for freshers can help you become an extrovert. You can attend regular meetups, join virtual community hangouts, discords and be active in the forums.
Align your skills with the company goals
Instead of repeating your skillsets during your interview, you can describe how your skills can be utilized to make an impact in the workplace. Highlight any achievements that are relevant to your role. You can cite examples of projects, assignments, or volunteer work where you might have delivered actual results, therefore, proving how you can add value to your potential employer.
5. Prepare for the Freshers Interview
For freshers attending the interview is a nightmare. But remember one thing, it is because of your hard work – you have prepared the resume, apply for the job, and were shortlisted to attend the interview. Getting selected for the job interview is one step further.
- Look closely for the company’s requirements. Apart from your qualifications, the organization might demand several skills.
- You must go through the company’s history, the list of projects they handled, the company’s objectives, etc. Gather the data and keep it memorized before the interview date.
- By knowing the information, you can confidently make a conversation with the interviewer. Ask yourself questions like what you know about the organization and its products.
- Know about your strengths and weaknesses, SWOT analysis.
- You will also get your turn to ask questions to the interviewer. And be prepared for it. The interviewer can validate your skills even through the questions you put forth to them.
Research your Employer
Almost every interviewer asks you what you know of the company, and it definitely looks bad if you have no idea. As a fresher, having a keen interest in the company coupled with a passion to prove your worth are sure ways to make a good impression on the employer. It also helps if you customize your resume for specific roles/companies that you apply for.
6. Freshers Group Discussion & Technical Interview
The purpose of group discussion is to analyze your team spirit. Many times, you will be handling the projects as a group. Especially if you are seeking a job in the marketing industry or as a management trainee, interacting with the team is most important. The recruiters will select only the potential candidates who are able to interact with others.
During the group discussion topics, you must follow certain rules and express your leadership skills and communication skills to the interviewer. Leadership skills don’t mean dominating the other candidates without allowing them to speak. You must initiate the discussion based on the given group discussion topics. And after conveying your points preciously, you must allow others to contribute their perspective.
Go high collar, Go Confident
What you wear makes a significant impact on your first impression score. Before you start communicating and interacting with the interviewer, your choice of clothing reflects your attitude towards the interview. Depending on your role and industry, go for a formal or semi-formal outfit. For example, while most roles demand you dress in formals, for interviews with firms like an advertising agency, casual wear is actually more appropriate. But, no matter where you’re interviewed, don’t forget to wear confidence.
7. Knowing your Worth vs. Negotiating Freshers Salary
Earning your own money is one of the best things you look forward to as part of entering professional life. While most companies have a fixed starting salary range for fresher jobs, some might be open to a little negotiation. But, before you think of negotiating, you must be aware of the industry range for your role. You can compare salaries for fresher roles in your industry from professional sites. If you think your offer is quite less than the standard range, you can put forth your case based on your research.
Tips to Negotiate for a Salary as a Fresher
Freshers will have hesitation to negotiate for salary. The whole interview process is totally new for them. And there are chances to get landed with a job with less salary. To avoid it, you can check online or the job portals where the job role and the salary range are specified. Or else, you can ask for a salary range in your networking group. Know about the salary components and what is provided by that company before accepting the offer letter.
8. Do’s & Don’ts in the Freshers Interview
When it comes to the interview, your preparation will directly reflect on your confidence. If you are well prepared to face the interview questions then you can be more confident. Hence keep away the laziness and just prepare for the interview.
- Try to make the best first impression as per the proverb “First impression is the best one”.
- You must go to the interview location before the specified time.
- Secondly, dress professionally which will increase your confidence.
- Have your resume and other necessary things required for the interview.
- Talking about the don’ts – never be over-smart and answer the questions by interrupting the interviewer. Do not communicate poorly. Improper communication will also degrade your value during the interview.
- Many freshers might think that it is necessary to answer all the interview questions. If not, they won’t be placed in the organization. But that is not the case.
- Instead of giving false information, you can convince the recruiter by saying that you will learn things in the future.
9. Common Questions During the Freshers HR Interview
Here is the list of most commonly asked HR questions. You must be well prepared to answer these questions with confidence. One of the common tips for freshers interview is to go back and look at all the questions have been asked.
1. Can you introduce yourself?
This is one of the common HR questions through which the interviewer can know about yourself. And most probably this will be the first HR question. I can understand that it would be neck-wrecking. But by practicing the answer, you can make a good (first) impression.
While answering this fresher interviewer questions, include niche points about studies, extra-curricular activities, areas of interest like sports, singing, dancing, etc, how will you spend your leisure time learning new things, and your areas of achievements in college, and how innovative are you.
2. Why are you applying for this job?
The interviewer is going to check your seriousness towards the job. Through your answers to this question, the recruiter will analyze whether you are fit for this job role or not. Therefore, think and practice the best possible answer for this question.
3. How will you handle work pressure?
This is one of the significant questions through which the recruiter will calculate your mental stability. Recently, due to emerging competition, employees are pushed to handle work pressure. However, it must decrease your physical or mental health.
While answering, remember to explain it with a proper example. In your college days, you might have faced some critical situations that you might have left yourself to handle. Say how positive those situations turned out to be, because of your calmness and presence of mind to face them positively.
10. Pick up New hobbies
Having hobbies and interests on a resume is an important way to stand out amongst the competition. Hobbies and interests that relate to the job you are applying for can give you a greater chance of being selected as the ideal candidate. So if your goal is to have an impressive resume, take some time to think about what hobbies and interests would best improve your chances of success. This is one of the Tips for freshers mostly given less importance.
When deciding which hobbies and interests to include, it’s important to consider how they will reflect on you as a person and potential employee. Taking up new activities such as learning a musical instrument or joining a sports team can not only look great on your CV, but also help build valuable skills for the workplace such as discipline, communication, problem solving or teamwork. Furthermore, having diverse hobbies shows employers that you are well rounded with plenty of self-motivation – all essential qualities in any successful employee.
In conclusion, the job market can be a tough place for freshers, but with the right preparation and attitude you can give yourself a head start. Utilizing networking opportunities, perfecting your resume, polishing your interviewing skills and more are all ways to set yourself apart from the competition. This will increase your chances of getting the job that you want. Use these 10 tips as a guide – they will help you become more prepared, confident, and ultimately successful in your search for employment. The above tips for fresher interview will help you crack the interviews.
Looking for better way to find your dream job? Connect with Mintly Community for Professional guidance in interview preparation.